Thursday, September 8, 2011

A
Abutilon (
Abutilon
) . . .
Meditation
Acacia (
Acacia
) . . .
Secret love
Acanthus (
Acanthus
) . . .
Artifice
Agapanthus (
Agapanthus
) . . .
Loveletter
Allium (
Allium
) . . .
Prosperity
Almond blossom (
Amygdaluscommunis
) . . .
Indiscretion


I was out of breath by the time I returned to the house. The living room was empty, and I stepped inside to unwrap the dahlias. The flowers were perfect starbursts, layers of white-tipped purple petals unfurling from tight buds of a center. Biting off an elastic band, I detangled the stems. The girls would never understand the meaning of the dahlias (the meaning itself an ambiguous statement of encouragement); even so, I felt an unfamiliar lightness as I paced the long hall, slipping a stem under each closed bedroom door.

-Vanessa Diffenbaugh, The Language of Flowers.

No comments: