Friday, July 8, 2011

tartare






I don't think I've ever posted photos of meat on this blog. There are a few broiled fish, but someone recently asked me if I'm vegetarian. To clarify: a tartare post.

I love cooking on a grill but haven't yet researched and found the right barbeque for my side balcony. Next week this might get done. But this week I've been eating as the grill-less do, buying tender, very flavourful sirloin and cutting it into small cubes just before serving, with frites.

I like the meat done two ways: blue (seared in a cast-iron pan) and raw. I add little piles of cornichons, dill pickle, dijon, capers, thyme, basil, a few shakes of worchestershire, a drizzle of olive oil (this one's basilic), a sprinkle of fleur de sel, and a few twists of black pepper. A raw egg from a chicken who ran free is nice too. I mix it all up with some Boston lettuce.

For the frites I slice new potatoes, parboil, then lay them out on a baking sheet in one layer, with oil and sea salt underneath, then salt again, and slide them into a 450°F oven for about 20 min.

xo

No comments: