Tuesday, September 2, 2008

DUMBO



One of the current exhibitions at the Vancouver Art gallery -Krazy! The Delirious World of Anime + Comics + Video Games + Art- features original cells from the 1941 motion picture DUMBO

They're exquisite.

I attempted to surreptitiously take pictures of them but there were guards everywhere. Shary tells me she managed to snap some & will send them to me to post.
(I took the above image from the Culver City Animation Art Gallery site which sells cells).

In one of the highwall galleries the film was projected on all four walls, with comfy chairs to lie back in.
Sitting there in the cool, dark room with tears in my eyes for dearest Dumbo ...was one of those near-perfect experiences.

Also in the exhibition are original drawings by Lynda Barry, mainly from her book 100 Demons. I did get some digital shots of her work and purchased the new book: What It Is. Buy it here and read a review in the NY Times here.

No comments: