Thursday, February 28, 2008

Royal British Columbia Museum Collections







Beautiful organisation and storage.

A tour through the conservation labs and collections storage (archives too):
* From the ethnological (Haida) collection: Sea grass baskets and little mats. Beaded gloves and belts in their acid-free nests.
* Hats, wigs and bonnets having mounts made for them. They'll be exhibited come mid-March in a show on the history of the province.
* The fabric samples reference 17th c for i.d. and replicas.

This spurred me to buy a flat file (good luck getting it up here) and finally plan & construct mounts for my bonnet and shoe collections. ...soon.
I'll be taking a mount making course in Illinois in June.

(The walrus diorama was so-so. I'm not hot on the teched-out natural history exhibitions. I love the simple vitrine. But the ice in the woolly mammoth diorama was pretty neat.)

also
thinking of little Magsie.
http://dachshundlove.blogspot.com/2007/11/dachshunds-in-pop-culture-andy-warhol.html

1 comment:

anna said...

I just found your blog via poppytalk I spent my teen years in Whitehorse and love your perspective and beautiful photos! anna