Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Maurice Sendak June 10, 1928 - May 08, 2012



...I just lived in Brooklyn where everything was ordinary, and yet enticing and exciting and bewildering -the magic of childhood, the strangeness of childhood, the uniqueness that makes us see things that other people don't see. My work has always been considered inappropriate but the ones that I love, the ones that I think work as works of art and books are inappropriate. The most important one to me is Outside Over There. It was after a trip to Germany. I was illustrating Grimm and I fell in love with the German Romantics, passionately! It brought on a nervous breakdown of monumental force.We all have to find our way. If I can find a way through picture making, book illustration, whatever you want to call it, I could be okay.

I do not believe that I have ever written a children's book. I don't know how to write a children's book. How do you set out to write a children's book? It's a lie. I don't believe in these words, I don't believe in these clubs. ...People say, 'why don't you do Wild Things II? Wild Things was such a success'  Go to hell! I'm not a whore. I don't do those things.

- Maurice Sendak


Maurice passed away this morning. This photo with his dog Herman was taken in 2006 at their home in Ridgefield, Connecticut.

This is a lovely video of him.


No comments: